Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Exclusive Job interview With Tangle Teezer Inventor Shaun Pulfrey



The Person At the rear of The Hair Tool Of The Moment

If there's a single merchandise that no Grazia lady is at any time without having, it is the Tangle Teezer. Yep, we're well and definitely hooked on them and have one particular in just about every crucial spot imaginable - desk, toilet shelf, handbag, you name it. Our desert island must -have would with no a doubt arrive in the shape of this trusty little detangling close friend and since Grazia Staff Elegance owns over two metres worth of hair involving us, it can be paramount that we steer clear of knots, tangles and tears at all occasions.

A Co llection Of Tangle Teezers We Identified On Our Desk

So, you can picture the sheer pleasure when we ended up presented a 1 -to- 1 assembly with Mr. Tangle Teezer himself, more generally known as Shaun Pulfrey. He's constructed a multi-million pound invention that is modified the hair business (and women's every day beauty routines) as we know it and developed one particular of the most wise hair tools to day. We went to get the inside scoop of his miracle creation, his gruelling Dragon's Den rejection and his forthcoming excursion to meet the Queen...

Grazia Daily : Shaun, explain to us how it all arrived about?

Shaun Pulfrey: Very well I educated at Vidal Sassoon many years back. This truly gave me my work ethic and teaching and tutored me the significance of presentation and perseverance. Even when you assumed it was best you would be built to do it all over again and all over again and yet again. And this was really fundamental to me. My work then took me all across the globe as a hair colourist but it was in Boston wherever I was at the backwash of the salon just one working day that I had a gentle bulb instant.

GD: So, what was the gentle bulb second ?!!

SP: Nicely I realised that there essential to be a detangling resource that was like a combination of a brush and a comb. There ended up all these assistants making an attempt to comb by way of lengthy, freshly colored hair that was entire of knots and typical brushes and combs just didn't slice it. It had to be some thing with versatile tooth that failed to lock in the tangles or pull or snag.

GD: So that was when you obtained to work on making the Tangle Teezer?

SP: I was back in England and began working on my idea. I employed to shell out all my time in the British Library contemplating if it was unique and patentable and the proper sty le. I generally lived in the Library for a reliable 12 months studying style and design publications and truly operating it all out. And right after that, I labored with style and design engineers and makers to make it occur to life. (The Tangle Teezer is built up of four hundred teeth in a exclusive construction that glides via hair).

GD: We're dying to know about the dreaded Dragon's Den episode again in 2007 in which they fully shunned your strategy !

SP: Oh yes ! Very well I pitched my concept to them and requested for £80,000 in return for 10 % of the company and they did not go with it. I claimed it would be excellent for gals, especially all those who color their hair like Deborah Meaden at which position she denied obtaining her hair colored at all! ( Occur on Debs, we know that might be stretching the truth a tiny little bit GD). Deborah said she has a comparable brush in her horse's steady and Peter Jones branded it a "hair-brained thought ".  (Missed a trick there didn&rsquot you Dragons! GD)

GD: And did you sense disheartened following you had been rejected?

SP: Not at all. I by no means gave up hope or questioned myself at any second. I just made the decision to finance the total factor myself and remortgaged my flat (Shaun has never taken a financial institution bank loan ). The irony is that Peter Jones and Duncan Bannatyne's youngsters now use them!

GD: And what would you say was your massive breakthrough then?

SP: It was really at The Garments Display in Birmingham the place I experienced a stand and there was a person there who was an undercover Boots customer. They purchased one and attempted it and totally beloved it and then Boots obtained in contact with me. I went to meet their staff and they resolved that they required to stock the device so ordere d them for two hundred of their retailers throughout the country in our black colour. They sold a handful of but I advised them to try out selling the pink one (a Grazia favourite ! GD) so they did and sold a ton additional. And it all form of grew from there.

GD: Wow. That's remarkable Shaun. So what is actually subsequent ?

SP: Nicely we're genuinely thrilled about the advancement of the enterprise - we've turned about £10. 8 million this year and are bringing out unique variations and types of Tangle Teezers in the in the vicinity of future. We are also undertaking some investigation and progress with warmth - think styling but not as you know it! I am also unbelievably enthusiastic that we have been nominated for a Queen's Award and am actually likely to Buckingham Palace to satisfy the Queen in November.

GD: Congratulations Shaun, we're thrilled for you. Do you assume the Queen uses a Ta ngle Teezer?

SP: I am not far too confident even though we have experienced net orders to Buckingham Palace so who is aware of... ( perhaps that is K-Middy's hair mystery !). Our factory is essentially primarily based down where the Primary Minister lives in Whitby, Oxfordshire, and I know that the Camerons use them. Nigella Lawson also acquired plenty in the earlier times also.

GD: All the ideal people use them! And tell us, what did you do with your initial fork out cheque from Tangle Teezer?

SP: I acquired my mum a caravan! She seriously wished a single and I just thought I was far too occupied to invest any cash so I desired to splash out on her. She's been such an instrumental component of the company and made it easier for me the complete way so I wished to get her one thing unique and that's what she desired.

GD: Your blessed mum! Do you sense like your lifestyle has adjusted from it all?

SP: Indeed I guess it has in a lot of strategies but not genuinely. I just acquired myself a property in Clapham and I enjoy great watches. I can fly me and my mum organization course now which is a authentic luxury but I haven't improved that drastically. I nonetheless believe I am incredibly feet on the floor. I did just lately gain a silent auction bid in support of Breast Most cancers Care that was to shell out a working day with the Good British Bake Off winner which is hugely thrilling !

SHAUN'S Leading 5 Favourite Issues :

1. Attractiveness products - L'Occitane for the entire body, Perricone for my deal with and also I adore Famous Dave's Faux Tan.

 

2. Hair products - Percy & Reed. They are packaging is very great.

 

three. Restaurant - The Wolsley and Century are top rated on my listing.

 

4. Clothing - Oswald Boateng - I have just bought a gorgeous brown go well with with brilliant purple lining from him for my day at Buckingham Palace.

5. Auto - I've bought a Smart automobile which is fantastic but I saw an Audi R8 not too long ago and imagined that was pretty specific. I'm thinking about buying a black a single !

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Celebrity Story On The Spot. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com